Wednesday, May 8, 2013

3 down, 1 to go

I'm about to slip into my chemo coma for the next several days!  Chemo on Monday was the quickest in and out yet.  My labs are still staying in the range for "normal" women, and the doctors are encouraged by that.  This was my third out of four treatments for this first phase with the the AC drugs (Adriamycin and Cytoxin).  After the fourth AC treatment on May 20th, I will start two new drugs, TH (Taxol and Herceptin) on a weekly basis for 12 weeks.  The TH drugs aren't as harsh as the AC so I won't have to "recover from chemo".  Looking forward to that!  Especially considering that my short term disability will be up in June and I'll have to start working again. Not really looking forward to that.  Hoping that my new chemo brain is a result of the AC and my mind will start to clear!

I did find out that my cancer was categorized as Stage 3 breast cancer.  I might have heard that before, but am not retaining information as well as I'd like! I was always hoping for Stage 2, but I'm sure the size of the tumor pushed it over the edge!

I also found out that I haven't been taking the standard 3 day post chemo oral steroids for nausea. I get the steroid through an IV at chemo, but that's it for steroids for me.  I dragged my friend Jill along with me to this treatment and she was as entertained as I was every time I was asked if I needed a refill for the steroids I have not been taking!  So I guess it's a really good thing that I'm able to keep the nausea under control with just the Zofran.  I chalk it up to all your prayers!  Keep 'em coming.  Especially for the remainder of the week as I drift in and out of consciousness!

Sunday is the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and I'm hoping to be alert enough to cheer on those running on Team Melissa and possibly even do the walk with Ella.  I keep being told what an amazing and emotional time it will be, and I'm looking forward to it!  

Thanking God for all my friends and family and prayer warriors committed to helping me get through this.  I couldn't do it without you!

                                         

2 comments:

  1. Love you and praying for you often. Missed you this morning at brunch, but will see you next Wednesday. You're loved and covered in prayer, Sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, I am writing from waaay off in Kansas City, Missouri! I found out this morning that we have several things in common and wanted you to know. First of all, my only daughter is Melissa (honeybee) also. Her ob/gyn calls her Honeybee when she goes in to see him. She has a beautiful 2 year old daughter herself, named Amelia. The second thing is that I work in the same school district as your sister, Jamie. We LOVE HER!!! She is such an inspiration and coach to her students. This morning, the Education Foundation board saw a demonstration of her Tae Kwon Do kids. They were amazeballs! And you can tell that her students adore her. Thirdly, I am a Christian mom, wife and grandma to two children and four BEAUTIFULLY MADE granddaughters. They are my life and I wouldn't trade them for all the stars in the universe. Last, and most importantly, I am a breast cancer survivor. I was diagnosed three years ago through a routine mammogram. Of course, I am a HUGE advocate for regular checkups, as you can imagine. Fortunately for me, they didn't think it was cancer and they found it so early that I was a stage ZERO. I didn't even know there WAS a stage zero. Three summers ago I went through 6-8 weeks of radiation. I took it every day M-F and it took about 10 minutes every morning and then I was off to work. I never missed a day of work and the worst part was the "sunburn" effect that eventually became uncomfortable, but certainly not unbearable. My hope is that you will have an equally uneventful experience. I was incredibly blessed that I didn't have to suffer through chemo, but I have had close family that have, and it's certainly no picnic. I just want you to know that I will be praying for you and your sweet family that this will soon end and you will never have to experience any of this again. We know God is with us through all trials and tribulations. I know it must be hard for your folks being in and out of the country with your illness and I will be praying for them also. Please let me know if I can EVER do anything for you, albeit long distance. I will keep watch over your blog and look forward to hearing good news in the future. God Bless and hang in there! Linda Martens

    ReplyDelete