Sunday, March 17, 2013

An Update and Huge Thank You!

Today was the first day that I've been able to wake up after a full night and get out of bed without wincing in pain.  That's a good feeling compared to all the mornings that have come before since my surgery.

This past Wednesday I went for my followup appointment with Dr. Kadkhodayan.  She took out two of the four grenades,  it's easier to hide two than four!  She says everything is looking good, although there is one area of one the incisions that is struggling a little bit.  If it doesn't start healing a little faster, we may have to get it fixed.  I don't know exactly all that would entail, but I'm in no hurry for any more surgeries anytime soon! 

I am well cared for while I lounge around. Rick is quick to make sure I am comfortable and have everything I need in addition to draining the grenades. Gross.  He's also slipped back into the primary caregiver role for Ella that he assumed while out of work for those 6 months.  Ella loves her daddy. My mom has taken on some household tasks to help Rick and I out.  I am so appreciative for her.  I know it's not easy taking care of her house, GG's needs and appointments and now my needs and my house! You rock, mom!  Thank you to all of you who are supporting my parents so they are free to support Rick, Ella and me.  Jamie left to go back to Missouri yesterday. I enjoyed spending the week with her.  Mostly watching movies in bed as I healed and she gave her a knee a rest.  I hope to see her again soon! Love you, Jamie! Yesterday Ali drove back up to Minnesota for her Spring Break and I imagine there will be more movies.  Hopefully on the couch though, I'm ready for a change of scenery!  Even though I am feeling better, I am still quite limited in what I can do.  My range of motion is extremely limited. When Dr. Kadkhodayan was reminding me of my safe space to move my arms, I couldn't help but think of that scene from the movie, Hitch, where Will Smith is trying to teach Kevin James how to dance.  Oh, that makes me laugh.  And then laughing hurts so I have to find a pillow to hold. 

While in the hospital and the first week at home, I received some beautiful flowers! Thank you so much! Usually I am not a flower person, I think that money would be better spent elsewhere (like the time Rick sent me two dozen pink roses while I was away at college.  The florist sent me the receipt so I knew how much he had spent and told him if he wanted to spend money on me like that again, he could buy me shoes. And that's what he did!). But now being confined to our house, those bouquets are beautiful and I love looking at them. I'm now a flower person! They are starting to look a little droopy. Sad times. 

I am also being well fed!  Thanks to all you who have brought meals this past week.  We appreciate it so much.  The meals are delicious and such a blessing to us.  I can't lift a gallon of milk or reach to get a bowl, so having these meals prepared and delivered is HUGE!  Thank you.  Thank you. Thank you.

Thank you to all of those named and unnamed who have given so generously to the Team Borner Give Forward fund.  We are humbled and grateful.  The bills are starting to roll in and are so overwhelming as I start to panic and wonder how we are ever going to get out from under the cost of the diagnostic tests and surgery alone.  Not to mention chemo and everything that follows. Thanks so very much!

Two things I wanted to let you know about:
1) Sweet, sweet Pam Hawley is doing a Pampered Chef fundraiser, so if you're needing to add anything to your kitchen, now would be a great time! *Wink*

Join me for a Pampered Chef Dessert Night on Friday, March 22 at 7pm! I am having a fundraiser party for Melissa, a friend of mine who is battling breast cancer. I would love to have you join me for scrumptious desserts, see the new Spring Catalog, and help support her. As always, I have LOTS of products to give away! Bring a friend and stop by. I am so excited to see you all! The party is at my house in Woodbury. Let me know if you can make it, so I know how many yummy desserts to make! If you are unable to make it, but still want to support Melissa, look at our catalog/place an order here: www.pamperedchef.biz/pamhawley

2) My dear friend, Kara Bubar, is putting together a team for the Komen Race for the Cure on Mother's Day, May 12th.  I might consider walking the 1K.  Slowly.  Or just cheering all the runners on!

Please consider joining me and joining TEAM MELISSA as your register and walk/run the 1k or 5K in honor of Melissa Borner this Mother's Day, May 12, 2013 at the Race for the Cure. http://www.komenminnesota.org/Komen_Race_for_the_Cure_/Race_Information.htm

If you have any questions about either of these, let me know and I'll get you connected to the answer!

Tomorrow I will go in to meet with my Oncologist and his team.  I've been in contact with a Nurse Navigator from Cancer Care since just after I received the diagnosis.  I know it might still be a couple weeks before I am cleared by the surgeon to start chemotherapy, but I know this meeting will be good.  I'm finding at times that I feel myself take a deep breath and feel like it's almost over.  But it's not. It's just the beginning. The easy part, the surgery, is over and the real fight begins.  I am hoping to get some answers to some questions that have been rolling around in mind and get a good feel for what the next few months will look like. 

Hopefully I will be quicker with updates this time! I've updated to prayer requests as well. Thanks to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment